My journey through motherhood and this little thing we call life...

Friday, May 29, 2009

Prayer Request Update

Happy Friday, friends! I thought I'd give you an update on what you've been busy praying for:

First off, the whole nursing vs. weaning issue is going swimmingly. The plan was to offer William a bottle of luke-warm organic whole milk whenever he would usually nurse. If he took it, great, if not, then he got to nurse. We started that whole process a week ago and since then he is down to nursing only once in a 24 hr. period. I was really sore last week from the decrease in Wip's nursing, but this week I feel fine. Last week I was also extremely emotional about having to give my baby a bottle, but I am feeling way more open to the idea (if not down-right excited). I don't know if all this excitement is mainly just pride for my son and his flexibility, or if it's the fact that I get a break from being a milk cow for a few months- maybe it's a combination of the two. Either way, William is completely happy and so is his mama. He takes about 3-4 (4 oz.) bottles a day and 1 (if any) nursing. In between bottles he is happy munching on goldfish, eating what Mama eats, and drinking Juicy Juice out of his favorite Nuby cup. Right now we're doing a bottle at both naps and bedtime with a possible one in the a.m. or in the middle of the night- before the baby's born I would like him to take half those servings of dairy in his cuppy.

FYI- The reason we decided to give him a bottle of milk rather than go straight to the cup (that he's been drinking out of for 6 months) is for comfort reasons, and comfort reasons only. All you nursing mamas know that when you have breastfed your baby for 14 months it's for more than just food. 95% of the nursing process is comfort. William still needs that sucking/cuddling comfort because it's what he loves and is used to. Call it backpedaling, but I call it choosing my battles.

Also, I have a hugeee praise to add to my two paragraph praise above:

For the past two nights, William has slept 12 hours straight! Holy guacamole! Can we say, amazing?? Wip's usually a good sleeper, but wakes up once to nurse...always has since the day he was born. I think his belly is getting more full after his nighttime bottle and, thus, he just sleeps through the night.

Thank you for all your prayers, comments, love and support! We can feel each and every one of them. God is so amazingly good!

We're off to Farmville tomorrow for a wedding, so I doubt I'll be posting tomorrow night. Stay tuned though because I'll post pictures. I hope you all have a fantastic night and an even better tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand the inner battle that goes on when deciding to wean a little one! My youngest is only 10 months, but has pretty much decided he doesn't want to nurse anymore and is now nursing only once in a 24 hour period. It kills me since I nursed our others 18 months. (mommy guilt is awful) :) That is great the William is sleeping 12 hours straight!!

    ReplyDelete