My journey through motherhood and this little thing we call life...

Thursday, April 23, 2009

What a messy day!!

I meant to write this post yesterday, but there was just too much going on for me to get the time to do it. Not to mention that I would have been typing with only one hand and you probably would have only gotten a paragraph! You’ll have to excuse me if I start rambling on or if I make no sense at all…the Percocet is kicking in and I’ve already backspaced about 20 times since starting this entry.

After waking up yesterday and finding my arm and eye ten times worse, I called the doctor and was referred to a plastic surgeon who would take over my case. I was hoping to get an early morning appointment, I mean it wasn’t like I was going to be taking a shower anyway so why not look like I went to work out or something?! Oh, vanity, you are such a downfall of mine. Unfortunately I didn’t get an appointment until 2:00, but I guess I should consider myself blessed to have even gotten in at all. Despirate for help, William and I went over to my mom’s house…AKA “the sick ward”. You see, my mom has a stress fracture on her foot that has gotten worse and she wasn’t able to put any weight on it. Between the two of us we made one functioning person- she had two good arms and I had two good legs. Oh we were a sight! Thank goodness my friend Lisa was willing to watch William for us while we went to the doctor. The selfish side of me wanted him to come along, but the mommy in me knew he’d have more fun at Lisa’s. Thank goodness I made the latter decision. She said that he was an angel and didn’t shed a single tear the entire time! He ate a whole grilled cheese for her, didn’t fuss while getting dressed (yes, my child went around all day in his jammies), played with Izzy (their Golden Retriever) and Nathan (their 11 year old), and pretty much spent the entire afternoon outside picking flowers and playing basketball. Needless to say, he was in heaven! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lisa!

At the appointment, they determined that the mass on my arm was in fact caused by some sort of insect/arachnid bite that had gotten infected. I had to have the spot lanced because even though I am on an antibiotic, I would never get rid of the infection as long as there was dead tissue inside me. So after getting numbed (haha, yeah I guess you could call it that), the doctor made a small incision in my arm and what he saw was a complete shock. He had warned me before he procedure that he was going to have to cut out all the dead tissue, but where he thought the tissue was, there was nothing. The bacteria had eaten a hole the size of a dime in my arm. Boy I am glad that I listen to all my friends who told me to go to the doctor! I don’t care if we have to pay $1000 for that appointment…at least I have an arm!!

After finding the hole, Dr. G scraped around a bit and cleaned out the area. Boy oh boy, was that fun or what?! And to think I was going to go alone! Thank goodness my mama asked if she could go with me. I honestly don’t know what I would have done without her. Before leaving, Dr. G packed my wound and bandaged it up. Thanks to the advice of my dear friend, Hillary, I asked for some pain meds for when the numbing wore off. She had told me that getting something packed would hurt like hell and man was she right! Half way home, I felt like someone was taking a blowtorch to my arm. Second to my kidney stone pain, this was the worst. Ladies, labor pain is a cinch compared to kidney issues and having something lanced/packed sans meds. Asked me again about my pain scale after I have our next baby (which I plan on doing naturally), but as of now, labor is third.

When we picked up Sweet William from Lisa’s, he was playing basketball in the driveway and looked like such a big boy! Go figure, but he fell within 5 minutes of me being there and started bawling. Oh, don’t you just love how boys act around their mamas! I read somewhere though that you judge your child’s behavior on how they are when you’re not around. Thankfully he is an angel when I’m not in sight (well, it sucks for me, but you know what I mean).

With the Percocet my pain is manageable, but I have to alternate it with Ibuprofen so that I don’t let any medicine leave my system. I go back to Dr. G this afternoon for him to check my wound and to possibly unpack it. Here are my prayer requests:

-That my wound is healed enough for him to take all the packing out (I just don’t think I have the stomach for removing it myself…which is what I’ll have to do if it’s not ready today)

-Healing for my eye on its own…I really don’t want to have to get it drained.

-A negative test for MRSA…this is probably the most important for several reasons. If I have MRSA, there are two possible medicines for me to take. However, I am allergic to one and the other would require me weaning William. I am not ok with having to wean William now and the thought of it makes me want to cry.

Thank you so much for all your support and prayers. I’m off to put some dry heat on my eye and to take a nap while William does. Have a great day and I’ll post after my appointment if I can.

-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment