My journey through motherhood and this little thing we call life...

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute








As you can see, we had quite a fun-filled day at the Children's Museum of VA. It was the location of this week's meet-up for those who wanted to join us, and we had a great time! I was curious to see if there would be much that William could actually participate in, and I was pleasantly surprised. We are actually planning on becoming a member because of all the age-appropriate things there are for my sweet Wip to do. The cherry on top was the fenced in tot play center. I'm willing to bet, Monday-Friday, you'll find me perched on the sidelines, watching my Wipee playing till his little heart's content. We will then proceed home to nap till my heart's content!
After our wonderful afternoon, we had an even better evening. I had my tour of the hospital's Midwifery Center tonight and, folks, I am STOKED!! There center is fantastic and the midwives are wonderful, talented women. I told you in yesterday's post that I would fill you in as to why I am choosing a midwife this time. Well, here ya have it:
1) William was born on a holiday. I was given pitocin and basically had no choice in it. My labor was progressing fine on it's own (water broke at home and was dilating at a steady pace), but not fast enough for them.
2) Pitocin is some nasty stuff and makes contractions RIDICULOUSLY hard. A midwife believes in the less intervention, the better. I am at that point too. I did not really need to be induced, but I still was. With my second baby I should progress just as well (if not better) because I have been through this before and I think I can handle it without an epidural.
3) I made it to 6 cm without anything last time, let's get to 10 this time!
4) I had a spinal headache after William's birth that was due to a faulty epidural. For the next four days after William's arrival, I had to lay completely flat on my back to avoid the most horrendous headache of my life. After suffering for days, I went back into the hospital to receive and blood patch procedure.
5) Labor is supposed to suck! Afterwards is not. My scenario was reversed last time. Yes, I was yucking it up while pushing with William, but I wasn't able to walk for 7 hours after he was born! I'd rather suffer for a short time, not 9 weeks after the baby's born.
6) The Midwifery Center has only a 24 hour stay.
7) The center has a queen sized bed.
8) One word: jacuzzi.
9) The center is on the maternity floor just in case something goes awry and I need to be transferred.
10) With God's help, I can get this baby out naturally and a midwife will help be my advocate for this.
I know some of you may be thinking that it may be a little soon to start thinking about natural vs. drugged labor, but I have honestly been thinking about it since the day after William was born. So there ya have it- a recap of my day as well as a little info about my midwifery decision. I hope you have a great night and even better tomorrow, friends!




4 comments:

  1. you know I will help you through every moment of natural birth that I can...hopefully I will not have natural-birth-envy...

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat! i wish we had those kinds of centers around here. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you are researching this well, but make sure the midwife is connected with a OB so that if there is a significant problem you have an alternate option. Good luck and say hey to the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no worries, the midwives are under an OB group that I actaully have my fist appointment with. the midwifery center is also on the labor and delivery floor and i can be transfered if need be.

    ReplyDelete