My journey through motherhood and this little thing we call life...

Monday, June 22, 2009

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

UPDATE: I forgot to mention something last night (in the midst of my ranting). How come no one (The View, tabloids, Entertainment Tonight, bloggers, etc) has brought up Jon's earrings?? Am I the only one who thinks it's a little ridiculous he got both ears pierced? Oh Jon, are you having a mid-life crisis at 32?? If I were Kate, I'd rip those suckers right out!

For years, as you know, I have loved and adored Jon and Kate Plus 8. Even Kate's nagging didn't really bother me because, hey, I can sympathize. I am so over the show now because, let's face it, there really is no show. After tonight's episode they're going to have to call it Jon OR Kate Plus 8. I am so frustrated that I have followed this family for years, read their books, was one of Kate's few supporters, and I no nothing more than that they "don't hate each other and they are in it for their kids". Could someone just please come out and say if there was, in fact, and affair? If so, why is Jon so angry with Kate? Years of pent up anger? I'm so confused.

I have one question that I would really like answered: Why on earth would you renew your vows, then less than a year later, get divorced? I know that they didn't "plan" on this happening, but couldn't they pull a little bit from how they felt last summer? How can a couple go from vow renewal to divorce in the blink of an eye? I realize they're under immense amounts of stress, but some was self-induced. Did they really have to make this severe jump?

I know I am not a marriage expert, but I simply felt compelled to comment on this topic one more time. I honestly felt as if I knew this family because of how long I've watched them, read their words, and shared in their devotionals. Is it silly to be saddened by all of this? They are a real family, going through a real tough time, needing real prayers. I think it is a terribly sad situation that requires more prayers than ever. I am saddened by all of this. Am I alone in thinking this??

8 comments:

  1. I'm sad too, Erin. I got the impression last night that Jon went through the motions of a vow renewal in order to go to Hawaii and let the kids visit his family. I believe he has been broken for years and has now decided not to take it anymore. The whole situation is a pitty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. He was talking about how glad he was that his kid's got to go to Hawaii but never mentioned the reason for them being there. It is just a sad, sad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read but haven't been commenting. So, uh, hi! *waves* I hear ya, though, on J&K. That's so disappointing to SO many people. Not only the kids, but the people who were looking up to them as examples of Christian parents&parenting. Obviously, they're not the only example, but they seemed like someone we could all relate to amidst all these family reality shows of crazy celebs. I wondered that about their vows, too. If this wasn't perpetuated by the media, then they should have known at least a year ago that something wasn't right. What a shame to go through with that - what a wonderful example they set for their children about keeping promises, huh?

    Honestly, I wish everyone would boycott the show. Maybe then TLC will cut their contract and the Gosselins can actually try to mend the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're exactly right, Rachel! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way you do about it. I'm working a blog post of my own to get my feeling out about it. I remember when they renewed their vows, Kate and Jon each wrote something to read. I remember thinking to myself that Jon's vows were very short and seemed empty. My husband and I watched the shows from the very beginning and felt like personal friends were breaking up last night. I was sick when Jon said he was 'excited' about the future. I know no one is perfect and it takes two to make up or break up, but Jon seemed like he was the one leaving Kate because he just didn't want the job of husband and father anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I am not the only one completely upset by this. I honestly wanted to cry watching the episode last night because, like all of you, I have watched this family from the beginning and it is so upsetting to see the drastic changes that have taken place over a few months. Just the other day, TLC re-played the episode when Kate surprised Jon with a trip to Key West for his birthday and she spoke about how she was not dummy, she knew this was an investment in their marriage and how much they loved eachother. What happened?! I am confused too Erin at how Jon is acting. Yes, Kate is harsh, but you can't hold in all your emotions and anger and then let it all out at once because you are tired of being belittled. I also agree that the show should be cancelled so this family can pull together and focus on their priorities from the beginning. Stupid fame and fortune ruins it everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From a guy's perspective; Jon should have talked to Kate about any issues before now. However, on the show she seems very un-approachable. If that is true after the film stops rolling then it was never a "christian" marriage. Kate has really changed from the first shows, while Jon has remained relatively the same. Both keep using the kids as a crutch to continue cashing checks from the show.

    ReplyDelete