My journey through motherhood and this little thing we call life...

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Abundance

One of my New Years resolutions was to start an "Abundance List".  The way the list would work is that at the end of each day I would write down one thing that I felt that was a gift of abundance from the Lord.  I keep this list on an index card that sits on top of my  bedroom bookcase.  I pass this bookcase numerous times throughout the day- when I make the bed, when I chase William away from the radiator that sits next to it, and when I use the mirror above it to put my make-up on.  I chose this spot because each time I see the list, even in passing, it helps to remind me of how truly blessed I am.  I believe there are days that all of us need a little reminding of God's abundant love for us... especially me.  I came up with this resolution because during most of 2008 I suffered from postpartum depression which forced me to be extremely narrow-minded.  I was unable to veer from the day-by-day, and was stuck in a world of pessimism.  I only knew how to get up, nurse William, bathe William, nurse William, put William down for a nap, nap myself, nurse William again... I think you get the idea.  Don't get me wrong, I never for a minute regretted the life I chose to have, nor was I sad... I just didn't have the energy to do anything that wasn't on my list of "necessities".  As I sought help, and allowed myself to follow the doctor's orders and start on an anti-depressant, I was slowly able to see how much of life's little pleasures I was missing out on.  Some days I would be so proud of myself just for having the energy to take William on a walk around the block rather than curl up in bed with him for a 2 hour nap.  That, my friends, is a gift of abundance.   I looked up the definition of abundance in the dictionary and I had to smile as I read, "affluence; wealth: the enjoyment of abundance".  Instead of looking at my checking account for signs of wealth (which only turned out to be a disappointment), I have now decided to look on my bookcase, at a small pink polka-dotted index card.  Thank you, Jesus, for helping me see the enjoyment of abundance.



Abundance is.....

The sound of laughter coming from your child 1/21

No comments:

Post a Comment